Volunteer at Stevens!
Stevens’ Staff and Students Need YOU!
The Stevens Staff and PTA urge you to volunteer to work with our students, faculty and administrators so that Stevens Elementary School continues to be a place where every student thrives.
We welcome and encourage the involvement of all parents and guardians, as well as members of the community.
All volunteers must complete the online Volunteer packet including the following:
- Volunteer Application
- Background check (WATCH) Screening Form
- Provide a copy of your ID
- Volunteer Handbook Pages 18 and 19: Safety and Liability Issues, Working with Children of Diverse Backgrounds, and Confidentiality
- Adult Sexual Misconduct Prevention – online course
- Review the SPS Volunteer Policy No. 5630
Everything can be found on the Volunteer Page of the Seattle Public Schools website.
Please note: All online forms must be completed annually, but the online video course only needs to be viewed once.
Please allow up to two weeks for all volunteer applications to be processed.
How to Apply to Volunteer with Seattle Public Schools
Why Volunteer in Your Child’s School?
- Higher grades, test scores & graduation rates
- Better attendance
- Increased motivation & self-esteem
Checklist for New Volunteers
Visit our volunteer website to:
- Review volunteer handbook
- Complete online training
- Apply securely online
- Background check required
Questions? Contact your school office or visit Volunteer
Additional Steps for Certain Volunteer Roles
The following volunteer roles require a national background check, regardless of how long the volunteer has resided in Washington:
- Unsupervised volunteers who work with children regularly (including remote/virtual volunteers).
- Volunteers chaperoning overnight field trips longer than three days.
- Volunteers involved in any sports or gym activities coordinated by the school (for Athletics see *).
If situations 2 or 3 apply to you, visit the volunteer website to learn more.
* Important: Athletic coaches must apply via SPS Athletics Department.
All gym and sports volunteers must be current on CPR, First Aid, Sudden Cardiac Arrest and Concussion Courses.
Field trip volunteers supervise students. Once approved to volunteer, request additional forms from the field trip organizer to review and acknowledge your important responsibilities.
Keeping Students Safe
Child Abuse Prevention
Nationally, one in four girls and one in six boys are sexually abused before age 18. Volunteers help to protect children by learning to recognize and report potential abuse.
At SPS, each volunteer completes an online Sexual Misconduct Prevention training before start of their service.
Criminal Background Check
- If you have lived in Washington State for the past three (3) years, SPS will complete your state background check at no cost to you.
- If you came to Washington from another state in the past three years, you will need to purchase a one-time national background check.
New or newly returned to the U.S.?
Why is there a fee for out-of-state background checks?
Unlike our state, the federal government does not provide schools with free screening tools. SPS selected a vendor to offer secure, affordable background checks for the volunteers who need them ($21 in most cases).
Frequently Asked Questions
I completed an online application in the fall of 2019. Do I have to reapply this year?
Your online application is still on file so please do not create a new application. On your second volunteer anniversary, you will receive an email with log-in instructions to update your application.
Can I use my smart phone to apply?
Yes! Our online volunteer application is smart-phone friendly!
Thank you for helping create safe schools, and for your generous donation of time and talent!